Thursday, February 11, 2010

Parsing the penny

No pride, no prejudice, just plain parsing.

When I came across this article today in business week, my mind was immediately flooded with a myriad of conflicting thoughts and recollections of the past eighteen odd months.

Obama ‘Agnostic’ on Deficit Cuts, Won’t Prejudge Tax Increases

Where should I begin?

When I was growing up, my father use to frequently tell me...."son, as long as it is your penny." Simply translated.....that meant that as long as I was paying for it? I should always get my money's worth. Obviously that piece of sage wisdom never applied to what I would come to recognize later in life as taxes.

Fast forward to the present and I am absolutely dumb struck over the sheer unmitigated gall and audacity of this man that we call the president.

This article in Business Week is so ripe with insults to my sensibilities, that I literally don't know were to begin, but I will try.

Obama, in a Feb. 9 Oval Office interview, said that a presidential commission on the budget needs to consider all options for reducing the deficit, including tax increases and cuts in spending on entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare.


So in other words, forget what he said back during the campaign about raising taxes. He still isn't going to raise your taxes. What he is going to do, is to create a presidential panel. A presidential panel that answers to him and a presidential panel that will be tasked with the sole task of submitting what he wants to do anyway as "their" supposed findings.

How quaint. I feel a George H. W. Bush flash back rising to the moment. Our president will soon step off and look us all right in the eye and tell us....."I am not raising your taxes. Let me be clear on that. The commission that I commissioned is who will be raising your taxes."

He will go on to explain that the commission's (his) proposals for tax increases and budgetary reductions, are aimed solely at reducing the enormity of our annual budgets and our ever growing deficit. Of course he will brush quickly past the fact that he has quadrupled the budget and almost doubled the deficit single handedly.

“The whole point of it is to make sure that all ideas are on the table,” the president said in the interview with Bloomberg BusinessWeek, which will appear on newsstands Friday. “So what I want to do is to be completely agnostic, in terms of solutions.”


No mr. president....this has nothing to do with getting all ideas on the table, not by a long shot. What this is about, is your ability to do what you said that you wouldn't, while laying the blame on some disembodied entity that you will gladly follow the recommendations of. (ie. your blue ribbon commission)

“What I can’t do is to set the thing up where a whole bunch of things are off the table,” Obama said. “Some would say we can’t look at entitlements. There are going to be some that say we can’t look at taxes, and pretty soon, you just can’t solve the problem.”


So I think this is coming into focus now.

You are right mr. president, you can't set the "thing" up where a whole bunch of things are off the table, but you can set it up where all those things that you said would never be touched will be touched.

Not the least of which will be tax increases aimed at the middle class and small businesses all across the country.

No surprises for me, I knew that it was only a matter of time. And all that crapola about you would not be raising taxes on those of us making less than $200,000 a year?

Obama repeatedly vowed during the 2008 presidential election campaign that he would not raise taxes on individuals making less than $200,000 and households earning less than $250,000 a year. When senior White House economic adviser Lawrence H. Summers and Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner suggested in August that the administration might be open to going back on that pledge, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs quickly reiterated the president’s promise.


Looks a lot like your plan all along was to do what you are planning. I wonder what Robert Gibbs will have written on his hand tomorrow. Or would that be too gauche for your administration. Twice in one week.

No comments: