Monday, May 18, 2020

Do You Like Broccoli?


I remember when George H.W. Bush made headlines? For saying that he would not eat broccoli. Some folks wanted to make a big deal out of that. But you know what? "That?" Is what is called freedom of choice.

Freedom of choice, provides us with the ability to distinguish between our likes and dislikes. And some will say?: "Well, you must have a valid reason for that opinion or belief."

Which translated means: "Well you cannot disagree with the majority." "You are not entitled to do that." Guess again, oh!ell yes I am.

I disagree with the majority on a lot. I always have. I refused to dance in many parades over the course of my life. First when it was all the rage to do drugs when I was a teen.

"Everyone is doing it!" So what. I have never done anything, just because that was what everyone else was doing. Or not doing. I make my own decisions and I make my own choices.

Things I don't like? Well, going back as far as I can remember? Beef liver. That would be one. My grandparents loved to skillet cook beef liver and onions. Not me. Couldn't stand it then, and I don't want any part of it now.

A couple of other things I remember not liking? Those were popular soft drinks of the era. Tab? Nope. Wink? Nope.

Fresca? Oh Hell No! Fresca is a real fast way to get me to vomit. The smell of it makes me sick. So I have maintained a long standing dislike for it and the others.

And as I have grown older, things like that remained static, but over the last few years? I have noticed that there are more and more things that I use to like? That I simply don't anymore.

And the basis for that dislike? Is that they changed it.

Kentucky Fried Chicken? Can't eat it anymore. It is not the same and it hasn't been for years. Krystal burgers, same thing. Wendy's burgers? Same thing. I remember when Wendy's first appeared. Advertising "Wendy's Hot & Juice" burgers. I loved them back in the day, but not anymore. They haven't been juicy in I don't know how long. And the taste is different because of that.

I have come to write off a lot of those in the entertainment and sports industries over the last 15 or so years. Since 9/11. Over the exact same reasoning Because of their outspoken opinions on a variety of issues, many of which are outright anti American? They have offended me.

Dolly Parton said it best when they tried to corner her on these hot button topics. She told them that she refuses to publicly discuss politics or religion. And she has maintained that position, throughout her career. Because as she stated: "If I were to do that? I would instantly offend half of my fans or more." So she doesn't go there. And I can appreciate that.

I could make a long list of those I no longer care for. Those individuals? Who when they appear on my screen? I will literally change the channel when their older shows or movies come on. Why? Because I cannot see beyond their intrinsic and populist bigotry of political correctness or leftist extremes of politics. And I do not care how good they once were or believed they were.

My point is really simple There is nothing wrong with having an opinion, or likes and dislikes. Plenty of people don't like Donald Trump. I get it. But that doesn't mean that I have to agree with them? Or support their lists of favorites.

And that is what bothers me more than anything. This societal structure that is being pushed in this country today? Is a structure that demands that you think or believe a certain way? And that you like and accept certain people? Or you will be branded, ostracized and pigeon holed into some faction or fraction of their perception of you.

And by the way? I don't like Broccoli either.  Didn't care much for George H.W. Bush either.  But that is another story. 

No comments: