Sunday, July 31, 2011

America lost another hero last night


America lost one of it's true heroes last night and I lost a true friend. Elmer Eugene Browning passed from our presence on this earth about 9:30 PM last night. His wife said that his heart  gave out and they just couldn't get it started again.

She was so heart broken when I spoke to her this morning and she reminded me how everyone loved Gene and how he loved them. She told me 'he loved you too.' She asked me 'how could anyone not love my Gene?'

Gene was a WWII veteran of 35 combat missions over Europe, in the belly of a B-17 . He held the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star and Purple Heart among over a dozen other awards for his actions in service to the nation that he loved. Gene was a small man, you had to be small to fit into a ball turret period. He had lost most of his hearing in that turret by the end of the war, but he never complained that I am aware of. Just the consequences of serving when his country needed him.

I have written of Gene before. I did a piece a few months back called 'Serendipity.' That blog became one of the most read things that I have ever written on this blog.

Gene was a former member of the Douglasville Ga. American Legion and a current member of the Dallas Ga. American legion. He  rode in the Douglasville 4th of July Parade just a few weeks ago and was so proud. He wore his uniform and his old bomber hat and his ostrich skin cowboy boots that he loved.

I tried my best to be there with him that day, but I had obligations that prevented me from getting there until the parade had already begun, so I couldn't ride beside him and share in his joy that day.

We were about seven weeks from realizing a dream that Gene had been looking forward to for almost a year. We had worked very hard to get him on the next Honor Flight to Washington. The Honor Flights are organized to take surviving WWII veterans on a day trip to Washington to see their memorial. And that had finally been accomplished. Gene and I were going. I was going to be his guardian on the flight and for the day. Everything was approved and we were leaving on September 22nd for the trip. Gene was so proud of that news and so happy that he and I would be making that journey for him to see his memorial. His dear wife Melba intended to go also.

I won't be making that trip with Gene now. He is already there. Looking down from glory and smiling at what must truly be  awe inspiring from his vantage point now.

All that I know right now is that my heart is truly breaking. All I can think about is the last time that I saw Gene about a week ago. I went by their home and spent a couple of hours with him and Melba and as always, before I left, Gene stood up and gave me a big hug and said "I love you buddy."

I love you too buddy....and I miss you so much.

I just hope and pray that when the day comes for me to make my own Honor Flight home to glory, that Gene will be one of those there waiting for me at the terminal.


And that he will give me another big hug and say, "I missed you buddy and welcome home."

No comments: