Friday, August 31, 2012

The Mystery Guest Tragedy of the RNC





The rumors began swirling in advance. Clint Eastwood was reportedly headed down to Tampa. Would he be the mystery guest speaker at the RNC?  Well the mystery ended last night when Clint took the stage. I could cut and paste some of the reviews that have been popping up all over the web this morning, but suffice it to say that the critics were not kind.

I love Clint Eastwood as an actor. At least two or three of his films easily make my all time one hundred list. I also appreciate his seeming conservative leanings and his opposition to Barack Obama. however, I don't need the man to go on stage and make an ass of himself as some aged and decrepit Dirty Harry carricature to garner my vote.

You see, the really simple truth is this. I like Clint. I like Chuck Norris. Hell, I like a lot of actors and I have an equal number that I don't like and that I don't support because of their political views.  I am reasonably certain that I am not alone in my thinking on those counts. There are millions of American just like me. We all could give a rat's rump what Sean Penn's communist flavor of the month is. The only time that his politics impacts or influences my decision making is at the box office, not at the polling booth.

This is a fact that obviously escaped someone in the Romney campaign when they decided to book Clint Eastwood as the mystery guest speaker at the RNC. And did we really need Clint (or anyone for that matter) to have a stumbling conversation with an empty chair that was supposed to symbolize Barack Obama....Hells Bells! Put a larger than life photo of the man up as a backdrop as you rightfully slam his failed policies and failed leadership, but don't engage in cheap theater.

My personal reaction upon witnessing Eastwood's appearance last night was gut wrenching to say the least. The man we all know and admire for his acting was halting and awkward and seemed as uncomfortable in front of an audience as some high school kid at commencement. The entire segment was painful for me to watch as I am sure it was for millions of other supporters of Clint Eastwood and conservatism in America.

I kept thinking.....what the hell is he doing there? Why did they do this? What purpose is being served by this little piece of staged drama that is failing miserably by the way. All I kept thinking during the entire episode was that Barack Obama and those in his administration, were sitting back somewhere in the wings, literally laughing their asses off. Laughing not only at the pitiful performance that Clint was giving, but also laughing at whoever made the decision to craft such a tragedy for the RNC in the first place.

It's a hard thing in my opinion for a Hollywood legend to be panned and slammed in his waning years for a political faux pas, but Clint has no one to blame but himself. He did this to himself and he allowed it to happen and he took part in it. In the final analysis, his audition before the American people last night as a man of considered political thinking was tarnished at best and severely dented at worst.

Obama and his handlers will make a lot of hay with the Eastwood appearance at the RNC last night. Wait until next week's DNC and I will promise you there will be one if not many not so subtle tongue in cheek slams of Clint over his speech and his endorsement of Romney last night. If Eastwood's intent last night was to make someone's day as he so painfully ended his speech referring to, I am sad to say that in my estimation the only days that were made were on the democratic side.

Which reminds me of another famous quote of Dirty Harry. "A man's got to know his limitations." Obviously Clint forgot his and so did whoever put this tragedy together.




No comments: