Monday, October 18, 2010

Obama's Star Wars analogy (UPDATED)



Except for the skin tone and the lack of hair buns on each side? And maybe the fact that he isn't dressed in white, I thought for a moment there, that I was listening to Princess Leia rousing the troops. All the president would have needed do at the end of that statement, would have been to utter this phrase.

"I don't know who you are or where you've come from, but from now on you'll do as I say, okay?"

Batten down the hatches boys! Break out the X wing fighters and someone please see if Luke and Obi Wan have their cell phones on. It's gonna be a war! A geo-galactic war! And it will draw all the finest people. The president has said so.

Mean while, back home on planet reality?

It seems our dear president is having flashbacks to his youth and his Star Wars collection of action figures (and maybe some of his smoked up days in college). I wonder who it is that he sees as the contemporary Darth Vader of his less than lucid metaphor? Can't be madam Nancy. After all, she is supposedly on his side (although she would be an excellent casting choice. At least for the parallel part in Space Balls).

And there aren't any free standing GOP heavies capable of donning the cape and heavy helmet and terrorizing the democrat galaxy as the great Lord Vader.

But given the chance? I think the ringer might actually be Hillary Clinton. Now there is an effigy that I can relate to. You can't argue with the fact that the helmet would do worlds for her sex appeal. And the cape and a pair of thigh high patent black jack boots would certainly hide the 'cankles.'

And I am almost certain, that she can carry the voice projection and intimidation every bit as good as James Earl Jones did the first go round.

So there you have it folks. According to our president, the Death Star approaches and all rebel forces need to be scrambled to battle stations and prepared for the finale. But somehow? I just can't get the image of Barack Obama as some sky walking savior for the country (or the world.)

Barry meeting out justice at the end of a light saber? Somehow with all that bowing and scraping that he does? I think he would go down in the first round. Probably the victim of one of the sand people.

When I think of comic political parody and symbolic political metaphor? I see Barack Obama more as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. Just a poor little lost soul desperately yearning for home and desperately seeking his Auntie M's comforting touch.

Of course, there is an entire repertoire that goes with that metaphor. Madam Pelosi as the wicked witch (although Michelle Obama has been studying for the part), Sarah Palin as Glinda the good witch of the north. Joe Biden as the cowardly lion and Harry Reid as the Tin Man. Which leaves it as a toss up as to whether John McCain Or Lindsey Graham get to play the Scare Crow, seeing as both of them are established straw men in their own right.

But oh what a wondrous musical we could make with this cast.

Then again, I think I will wait for the real cast of characters that are about to be chosen in two weeks. Maybe then? I will get to see Pelosi wailing at Sarah Palin over her loss of the house and her speakership.

"You cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm melting! melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness? Oooooh, look out! I'm going! Oooooh! Ooooooh!"

And then? We all can then join in with the rest of Munchkin land to a rousing chorus of "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead!"





UPDATE*****

Now look who is working with a death ray

I guess now we know where the Star Wars analogy came from......