Thursday, May 05, 2011

Would you like some greens with your death?

From time to time, I come across a media report that absolutely boggles the mind. Actually? I come across them far too frequently. And when I do, I literally have to slap myself and re-focus on what I have just read or witnessed and attempt to get my head wrapped around the idiocy that I am seeing presented to me as some form or reasonable explanation. Last night was one of those times. So I bookmarked this little tidbit for re-visitation today.



The most familiar item in the Army's arsenal is getting an upgrade.

The M855 bullet was designed in the 70s -- and has been in use since then, despite some complaints from soldiers that it's often less than effective .The new M855A1, which the Army will be demonstrating Wednesday at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland, is deadlier, faster, and may soon replace its older cousin.

The new ammunition is notable for being "green" for one thing; it's lead-free, meaning the new ammo is environmentally friendly, the Army said. The military began providing the lead-free round last June to U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan.

A live-fire demonstration will be held Wednesday morning at the post. Soldiers will fire the new and old rounds, as well as a third type, to compare the performance of all three on identical targets. The targets will include a parked vehicle, steel plates and building materials.

Army officials acknowledged that the M855 "has not been providing the 'stopping power' the user would like at engagement ranges less than 150 yards," according to a 2005 briefing, the Army Times reported last year.

But ballistics experts point out no bullet is perfect; the new rounds won't be substantially more deadly, in other words.


So, there you have it. Political correctness gone mad once again. Egalitarian idiocy has now reached do deeply into the American military? That it even permeates death. Quite literally, the American military is prepared to test and issue ammunition, solely based upon it's environmental footprint, while completely ignoring its inferiority to existing ammunition.

Imagine that. The professional ministers of death (the American military) are about to be led willingly to the great abyss of environmentally friendly death. They are going to issue environmentally friendly ammunition and they want us to know why this is a wonderful idea.

And here I sat thinking that the most grandiose piece of idiocy that I have seen in my lifetime when it comes to the Pentagon, was when the bean counters at the Pentagon, ordered cheaply made bullets during the Viet Nam war to save money and got thousands of Americans killed and maimed by jammed M-16's. (Author's note: yes, Viet Nam was a war and yes, it was about beans).

I am sure that the admission that this new 'environmentally friendly' ammunition is inferior in performance to existing issued ammo will somehow be lost in the background noise of the cumbayah liberal embrace and media blitz.

What next? Will they start printing new recruiting posters? That are floral based, printed on biodegradable stock and touting the new and improved openly gay and environmentally friendly focused mission of the American military.

Like I said previously, there are times that my head literally spins from the idiocy that I see presented to me as something that is supposed to be reasonable.

1 comment:

XtnYoda said...

We did have a lot of trouble with our 50cal. casings. Seemed to be a lot of corrosion and weakness in the extractor flair. I had one that the extractor ripped the flair off of then jammed the next round right into the the case that was now stuck in the barrel! Right in the middle of a fire fight!

That was a bad feeling.