Friday, December 31, 2010

UPDATED: Family of fallen soldier warmed by letters, stung by politicians

Family of fallen soldier warmed by letters, stung by politicians

You only get one chance to get it right. Once again, this man who occupies the office of the presidency and calls himself commander in chief fails and fails miserably.

Rightfully so, the father of this young man crystallizes the difference between a true commander in chief and someone who just bears the title and goes through the motions.

It use to bother me that Barack Obama refused to render honors to the American flag. Now I understand. He doesn't deserve the honor of saluting the flag of this nation. No more than he deserves the title of commander in chief. 

UPDATED from an update first posted at Brutally Honest

First_Lefty says:
December 30, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Sorry folks. I passed along my consolences, but it was a choice for the family to go to the press about a form letter and a complaint about who the President calls about what.

I recall fondly how nicely you all treated Cindy Sheehan when she was unhappy about her son's death. "Attention Whore" was one of the favorites.

It's very unfortunate that the letter was wrong, but that bell can't be unrung. I'm sure that a call to the Senator's office would have gotten a gracious apology, but no.....let's go to the press and make it a political issue.

As to the President, who he calls and why is his business. If he took the time to call every parent of every American who died in service to country, he'd probably have little time to do anything else - which would be your next gripe.

Again, my condolences to the family. Having lost people close to me during Viet Nam and having a grandchild whose daddy died in Iraq, I'm not protected from the pain any more or less than anyone else.

Oh, and no.....George W. Bush didn't call when my grandchild's daddy died in Iraq.

The father's response..............

TheDad says:
December 31, 2010 at 12:59 am

First_Lefty: Well, your name kind of says it all. I'd like to set the record straight, but first I'd like to thank you for your condolences. You should be thankful. A better man than you just died defending your right to express your opinion.

There was an error in the original article, I never called the White House - I have no desire to get a call from the President. I did make a request for the President to call my ex-wife. I believe it is something that should be done. If GEN Petraeus can take time to write a personal note, if my son's Company Commander can find time to make a phone call - all while fighting a war; if the Governor of Washington can find time to send personal condolences, then yes the President should be able to find time. Ultimately, it's not even a question of time. I would understand the President saying that it is not his policy, that the Office of the President cannot get involved in every soldier's death. But that's not what was said. The response we were given was that he is too busy to fit it into his schedule. That's what makes bogus calls to the President of the Eagles so galling (incidentally, yeah, Michael Vick has had a tremendous year ... playing nothing but a game).

As far as Senator Cantwell, sending a form letter is "okay", even nice. Having such a poor quality control, especially on a letter to a Mother who has lost her son at Christmas is just pathetic.

Is this political (?), maybe in your eyes. However we actually waited because we knew someone like you would make this accusation. When we told the reporter, it was in response to a question. In fact, we purposely told him that we didn't want to make this about politics. It may come as a surprise to you, but calling the Senator's office while we were grieving the loss of our son wasn't high on our priority list. Taking care of our son's three siblings and arranging for a burial somehow rated higher in importance.

Finally, to answer your first suggestion, that we should focus our anger on those who sent him to war - that would be Mr. Obama. My son was a member of the 101st Airborne. They are in Kandahar Province as a part of the surge ordered by the President almost a year ago. Not only did I agree with that decision by the President, making it something I would never blame him for, I have no doubt that your political persuasion would have enabled you to put an equally feeble comment in response to that if I had mentioned it.

You sir are a sad excuse for a man. It almost makes me sad to think I spent 28 years, and my son sacrificed his life, defending your right to be as misguided as you are ... yet that is where we are today.


Read more:

No comments: