Sunday, September 25, 2011

Barack Obama: March with me and Press On!




Obama tells congressional black caucus
In a fiery summons to an important voting block, President Barack Obama told blacks on Saturday to quit crying and complaining and "put on your marching shoes" to follow him into battle for jobs and opportunity. And though he didn't say it directly, for a second term, too. Obama's speech to the annual awards dinner of the Congressional Black Caucus was his answer to increasingly vocal griping from black leaders that he's been giving away too much in talks with Republicans -- and not doing enough to fight black unemployment, which is nearly double the national average at 16.7 percent.
"So, I don't know about you CBC, but the future rewards those who press on! With patient and firm determination, I'm gonna press on for jobs! I'm gonna press on for equality!  I'm gonna press on for the sake of our children! I'm gonna press on for the sake of all those families who are struggling right now! I don't have time to feel sorry for myself! I don't have time to complain, I'm gonna press on! I expect all of you to march with me and press on! Take off your bedroom slippers, put on your marching shoes! Shake it off! Stop complaining! Stop grumbling! Stop Crying! We are gonna press on! We've got work to do! CBC! God bless you and God bless the United States of America."

Barack Obama's message to blacks across America appears to be: "shut up and march." Pay no attention to what I told you three years ago, press on! No one told you this was going to be easy, press on!


The head of the democrat plantation speaks. Disregard your pain and suffering, press on!  Disregard your lack of jobs, press on! Disregard what them white people are telling you with their polls, press on! Shut up and march and help me push this jobs bill through congress and then you can help me get reelected. But in the mean time........Press on!

Historians have agreed that Martin Luther King's defining moment was his "I have a dream" speech. During his campaign and during his presidency, Barack Obama has frequently brushed up closely to the famous tone and oratory stylization of Martin Luther King, but in my opinion, he has yet until now come close to attempting a full on parody of the man.

With this speech to the congressional black caucus, I believe the parallels are undeniable. The references to King and John Lewis aside, Barack Obama is preaching in this speech. He his fire branding his position to his base and he is clearly sending a message. He is in a battle and he doesn't have time for shirkers. The CBC and those who march to their orders need to understand and recognize that Barack Obama and his plans for this country are larger than their mere individual and collective discomforts.

John Lewis got beaten within an inch of his life on Sunday according to this president and on Monday he was marching. The metaphors are incessant in this speech, but equally important is the tone and the delivery of the message. Barack Obama isn't just mad and upset at the republicans that he is railing against over his jobs bill, he is equally angry with those he is addressing for their backsliding and failure to blindly support his policies, not to mention calling him to task to explain himself to them.

I have watched the speech several times now and listened to the words and the manner in which they were delivered. The eye contact, the body language and the posture of his tone denote a man who is tired of having to re-explain himself. And at the end of the speech, the podium slap emphasizes his disgust with having to take away form his precious time to come and re-explain himself to the plantation.

Barack Obama doesn't have time to feel sorry for himself and he doesn't have time to complain, but more importantly, he doesn't have time to listen to black Americans feeling sorry for themselves or complaining. Barack Obama is telling them, don't invite me to your pity party, cause I ain't coming! I've got far more important things to do, far more important things to accomplish! And you people need to get with the program! You need to disregard your own personal suffering and stop complaining to me about it, Save your grief and aggravation for the white man, cause I ain't listening. I don't have to listen. You can't call me racist, so I don't care what you think or what you want.

Slap! Now....shut up and march! Press on!



No comments: