Sunday, September 02, 2012

What's in a flag

What's in a flag? Apparently not a lot for the Obama's. Remember the controversy last year on the 10th anniversary of 9/11? Michelle was caught leaning over to Barack during the ceremonies and saying: "All this for a damn flag?" Of course the Obama white house denied the allegations and the complicit media peddled the meme of the Obama's love of America and moved right along.

But what really is in a flag for this family?

I received this photo in email this morning. I tend to suspect emails, so I did a little investigation and determined from my favorite fact checker site, (Snopes)  that sure enough.....there was a plausible explanation and the representation was a lie. This was not Michelle and the kids at the 2012 London Olympics. This was Michelle and the kids in South Africa last year. This photo was taken on an official trip last year with her family. A trip reportedly to focus on youth leadership, education, health and wellness. And seeing as the kids were a little chilly when they arrived, they were provided with blankets made as South African flags.

A reasonable explanation once again from Snopes.

So I did a little more investigation.   I Googled Michelle Obama and children South African flags and I came across a number of similar photos from the South African visit. Then I did the unspeakable and egregious. I Googled Michelle Obama and children, American flags. And guess what I found?

Go ahead.....guess........I'll wait.

This is the Snopes explanation for the photo. You have to screen capture their stuff, as they have disabled the ability to copy their postings.

No comments: